Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe I've made but cut down in size-it does freeze well. Serve with hot cornbread and honey.
- 2 (4 lb) chicken, quartered
- 8 lbs beef, chuck cut into chunks
- 8 lbs pork butt, cut into chunks
- 4 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes with juice
- 3 (1 lb) cans corn, drained
- 5 large onions, chopped medium
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle ketchup
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- black pepper
- Place cut up chickens in a large dutch oven, cover with water and cook over medium heat until done, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Cool to handle, remove chicken, debone and skin, discarding both, and reserve the chicken and broth separately.
- Grill the meats until semi charred.
- Put the chicken, beef and pork along with the tomatoes, corn, onions and ketchup back into the dutch oven, if large enough, or into a large stock pot.
- Add the cayenne, salt and pepper to taste, and enough of the chicken broth to make a stew-like consistency.
- Cook over low for 2 hours to blend, stirring frequently-this tends to stick.
- Add broth if needed.
- This freezes well.