1 hr 5 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
This is from a Bon Apetit magazine from December 1983. Posted in response to a request.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (3/4 stick)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 ounces amaretti, finely ground (Italian macaroons)
- 1For cake:.
- 2Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 3Butter and flour three 9 inch round cake pans.
- 4Beat yolks until lightand slowly disolving ribbon forms when beaters are lifted.
- 5Stir in rum and vanilla.
- 6Beat whites with cream of tartar in large bowl to soft peaks.
- 7Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time and continue beating until stiff and shiny.
- 8Stir chocolate and butter into yolks until well combined.
- 9Gently fold in 1/4 of egg whites, then fold chocolate mixture into remaining whites.
- 10Sift together cornstarch and cocoa powder; combine with amaretti;gently fold into batter.
- 11Divide batter among prepared pans.
- 12Bake until centers of cakes rise and begin to crack, 18 to 20 minutes.
- 13Cool 10 minutes in pan, then cool completely on wire rack.
- 14For chocolate cream;.
- 15Whisk 1/2 cup hot water into 4 oz. melted semisweet chocolate.
- 16Cool to room temperature.
- 17Whip cream until stiff peaks form; gently fold chocolate mixture, amaretti and rum into whipped cream.
- 18To Assemble:.
- 19Reserve 1/4 of chocolate cream for decorating top of cake.
- 20Spread remainder evenly between layers and over top and sides.
- 21Measure height of cake.
- 22On sheet of parchment spread 3 oz. melted semisweet chocolate into 1/16 inch-thick rectangle as wide as cake is high.
- 23Repeat with melted white chocolate on another sheet of parchment.
- 24Refrigerate until chocolate is firm, but not brittle, about 15 minutes.
- 25Cut crosswise into 3/4-inch-wide strips.
- 26Refrigerate to refirm chocolate, about 15 minutes.
- 27Carefully arrange strips alternating around edges of cake,gently pressing into icing.
- 28Spoon remaining pastry cream into a pastry bag fitted with a No. 3 plain tip.
- 29Pipe mixture in straight lines atop cake.
- 30Dust lightly with cocoa powder; Refrigerate.
- 31Cake may be prepared 1 day ahead.
- 32Decorate with chocolate leaves and balls.
- 33Bring to room temperature before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bruno's Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 556.3
- Calories from Fat 450
- Total Fat 50.0 g
- Saturated Fat 29.9 g
- Cholesterol 229.2 mg
- Sodium 86.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 11.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: