Recipe by Bruno58
Adding the taste of Italian ingredients makes a good hot dog great. Don't even think about adding mustard or ketchup.
- 6 beef hot dogs, preferably with natural casings
- 6 sandwich buns
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced into strips (to be caramelized)
- 1 (8 ounce) jar roasted red peppers packed in oil
- 12 slices prosciutto (thin slices)
- 1 -2 tomatoes (chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add olive oil to skillet or saucepan and heat to medium-high temperature.
- Add the sliced onion.
- Stir the onion slices and add salt and brown sugar.
- Stir frequently and cook until onion is soft and caramel colored (about 25 min).
- Wrap each hot dog with 2 prosciutto slices.
- Grill hot dogs until prosciutto is crisp (about 7-10 min).
- Place hot dog in lightly toasted roll.
- Top with provolone cheese and caramelized onions.
- Add roasted red peppers and sprinkle red pepper flakes.
- Finish with tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste.