- Preheat the broiler.
- Sauté the bacon in a nonstick skillet over high heat for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Split the pitas by using a serrated knife to cut all the way around the perimeter of each pita bread.
- Arrange on a large baking sheet, cut side up, and toast under a broiler for 1 to 2 minutes until just barely colored.
- Divide the tomato and onion between the pita rounds and sprinkle with the bacon.
- In a small bowl, combine the cheese, basil, and pepper flakes.
- Sprinkle evenly over the rounds and broil for 1 to 2 minutes until cheese is melted and lightly browned around the edges.
This was a great addition to my WW recipes. If u like onions u will like this. I made it exactly as written the first time, it was yummy. In a hurry the second time and did not heat the canadian bacon, I could tell the difference, which was a shock. Still good though, I just know to take the time to heat the bacon next time and it just adds that something extra. Can't wait for Vadalias to come into season. Thanx for a wonderful recipe for sooo little points.
What a great QUICK and healthy light lunch or snack! I made this on my way out the door to the gym when I realized I hadn't had any lunch yet! I had it made and was done eating in 15 minutes flat! My boys had already had lunch, but I made one with just cheese and they really enjoyed that as a snack. I used 100% whole wheat pita bread and left off the Canadian Bacon becaus I don't like any meat on my pizza. I only made 1 pita since it was just for me and I used 1/4 cup cheese, 1 Roma tomato and a 1/4 t. basil with just a dash of red pepper on my half and just cheese on the other half I made for my boys. Very tasty! Next time I think I'll try spreading a little pesto on before layering the tomatoes and cheese.
This was a really good and simple way to make pizza! I have used tortilla's but just never thought about pita! I did half of them canadian bacon and half pepperoni, as hubby hates canadian bacon but i love it! Thanks!