Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
Ham, zucchini, mushrooms and cheese flavor this rich, hearty egg dish. It adds appeal to a breakfast or lunch buffet and cuts easily, too. Enough for a crowd or cut the recipe in halve as this recipe makes 2 casseroles(8 servings each).
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cups chopped zucchini
- 2 cups cooked ham
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped green peppers
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 12 eggs
- 4 cups day-old bread
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (12 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, zucchini, ham, onions, green peppers, and garlic in olive oil until vegetables are tender; drain and pat dry; and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl; beat cream cheese and cream until smooth; beat in eggs.
- Stir in bread, cheese, salt, pepper and vegetable mixture.
- Pour into TWO (2) greased 11-inch x 7-inch x 2-inch baking dishes.
- Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Note: Vegetables & ham can be prepared the day before, also cream cheese, cream & eggs, refrigerate; Then put together before baking.
Originally found this on another web site. A nice change to see a Strata that doesn't require it to sit overnight. I didn't change much on the recipe, just sub'd yogurt for the cream & figured out some ingredients based on weight vs liquid quantity (ie. 3/4 cup mushrooms = 3 oz). I also sub'd some egg substitute for part of the egg requirement (ie. for 4 servings the amt for me was about 3/4 cup combined total). Sometimes I will use buns for the bread and it works good also. Tasty recipe & worth trying.
This was so good. I served at my bunco group and everyone loved it. I had to make copies of the recipe.