Recipe by michEgan
Excellent recipe for that special brunch!
Top Review by Tarynne
I had a lot of hopes for this recipe it just did not come off as I expected. I did make one change and made this in a deep dish glass pie pan instead of individual ramikins and it held up fine. The chicken/asparagus mixture was a bit bland but a bit more salt at the table did help. The main problem my family had were the eggs. They just did not seem to belong. We all seem to eat around them. The eggs tasted fine they just seemed like an awkward addition.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded swiss cheese or 1 1⁄4 cups cheddar cheese
- 2 cups frozen asparagus, cooked and drained
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 4 eggs
- 4 teaspoons butter, melted and cooled
- 2 cups frozen asparagus spears, cooked and drained
Directions See How It's Made
- In a pan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoon butter. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, nutmeg and mustard.
- Cook till bubbly. Gradually stir in the milk and cook till smooth and thick. Stir in cheese and stir till smooth and cheese is melted. Stir in 2 cups of the asparagus and the chicken. Remove from heat. Pour equal amounts of the mixture into 4 ramkin cups (1 1/2 cup to 2 cup dish).
- Make a hollow in the center of each dish and carefully break an egg into the hollows. Pour 1 teaspoon melted butter over each egg.
- Bake 375 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes till the egg is set to your liking. Garnish with additional asparagus spears.