Recipe by Charmie777
Wonderful combinations of flavors!! Gouda, spinach, shallots!!! This quiche is perfect for brunch!!!!
Top Review by FLKeysJen
This recipe (plus one egg) is perfect to fill TWO deep dish pie crusts. Mine took 60 minutes in the oven to set. Also note that the bacon needs to be cooked and broken in pieces before you put it in the pie shell. The combo of gouda, bacon, shallots and spinach is rich and amazing!
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts, unbaked
- 1⁄3 cup shallot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 cups fresh spinach
- 4 ounces gouda cheese, shredded
- 6 pieces bacon
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk (or half and half)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450º.
- Prepare a 9-inch pie plate with the pie crust (deep dish pan is best). Trim and crimp edges.
- Line pie crust with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Weight down with dry beans or pie weights, if desired. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes.
- Remove foil and weights and bake 5 minutes longer. Set aside and reduce oven to 350°.
- In a medium skillet, saute the shallots in butter until soft.
- Chop or tear the spinach and add to shallots. Stir and then remove from the heat.
- Sprinkle gouda and bacon into crust, then add the spinach mixture.
- In a bowl, beat eggs and then add the milk, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Pour over spinach in pie crust.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let rest for about 10 minutes before slicing.