Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Wonderful combinations of flavors!! Gouda, spinach, shallots!!! This quiche is perfect for brunch!!!!
- Preheat oven to 450º.
- Prepare a 9-inch pie plate with the pie crust (deep dish pan is best). Trim and crimp edges.
- Line pie crust with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Weight down with dry beans or pie weights, if desired. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes.
- Remove foil and weights and bake 5 minutes longer. Set aside and reduce oven to 350°.
- In a medium skillet, saute the shallots in butter until soft.
- Chop or tear the spinach and add to shallots. Stir and then remove from the heat.
- Sprinkle gouda and bacon into crust, then add the spinach mixture.
- In a bowl, beat eggs and then add the milk, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Pour over spinach in pie crust.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let rest for about 10 minutes before slicing.
This recipe (plus one egg) is perfect to fill TWO deep dish pie crusts. Mine took 60 minutes in the oven to set. Also note that the bacon needs to be cooked and broken in pieces before you put it in the pie shell. The combo of gouda, bacon, shallots and spinach is rich and amazing!
Unfortunately I missed the part about turning the oven down by 100 degrees so needless to say my quiche was VERY overdone and just shy of burnt. It was somewhat edible and I would imagine if I had followed the chef's directions it would have been very good. I used half skim milk and half 1/2 and 1/2. I will try this in the future correcting my above mistake
Excellent tasting dish. My problem was putting this together. Followed directions exactly as stated. Used a deep dish frozen pie shell. Problem was, there was almost a cup of liquid too much that would not fit . Additionally I think there was too much spinach for the dish. Next time I make this, and I will, I'm only going to use 6-7 cups spinach, 3 eggs and 1.5 cups milk. This recipe has the makins of a great dish, it just needs more tweeking (if that is a word?)