Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
FANTASTIC brunch dish I found on the Internet. Everyone loves it and ALWAYS wants the recipe! Most of it is prepared the night before.
- 110 g Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 loaf day-old French bread, broken into small pieces
- 45 g butter, melted
- 455 g shredded monterey jack cheese
- 355 ml whole milk
- 10 eggs
- 80 ml white wine
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 10 ml Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes
- 230 g sour cream
- 50 g parmesan cheese
- Place sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring constantly until evenly browned. Drain grease, and set aside.
- Spread bread pieces in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Drizzle melted butter over the bread pieces, then sprinkle in the cooked sausage. Cover with shredded cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, white wine, Dijon mustard, and green onions.
- Season with salt, black and red pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over everything in the baking dish. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the dish from the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to baking to allow it to come to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Cover the dish, and bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Then uncover, and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and spread sour cream over the top.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is starting to brown slightly.
I make this regularly at my bed and breakfast and always get nice comments and requests for the recipe. It's easy to make, and looks nice on a plate.