Recipe by mini_1
This is a recipe I found at a grocery store so many many years ago. Its a favorite and the combinations are endless. If I wanted a sunday breakfast special, this is what I would serve and the left overs heat up wonderfully in the microwave. This is made in steps, so I listed the ingredients in the order you will need them. You can change up the meat, the cheese type and add other vegetables. You can prepare this the night before and just bake in the morning.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 6 medium potatoes, sliced (I leave the skin on, but it is up to you)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb sliced ham
- 1⁄2 lb shredded colby-monterey jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 eggs, scrambled
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- pie crust (I get pullisbury already made, but you can make your own)
- 1 egg
- splash water
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter and sautee butter, onion, pepper and salt. This takes about 20 minutes. I suggest covering while sauteeing, helps the potatoes not burn but cook thoroughly.
- Lay shell #1 in a deep dish cassarole dish. I am not sure of the exact size of the dish, but It is at least twice as deep as a pie plate.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix eggs, 1 TBSP water, 2 TBSP chopped parsley, 1/4 tsp salt & 1/8 tsp pepper.
- Melt 1 TBSP of butter in sautee pan and cook half the egg mixture making an omlette. Set aside and do the same with the other half of the egg mixture.
- In the shell lined cassorle dish, layer first omlette, then ham, cheese, potato mixture, more cheese, ham, and then the last omlette.
- Top torte with final pie crust. Make slits and brush with an egg water mixture.
- Place in oven and cook through, about 1 hour. I usually wrap the pie crust edges with foil and remove for the last 15 minutes.