Recipe by carrie sheridan
easy and so good for you - great for kids (maybe without the mushrooms)
Top Review by Axe
This was really good, however if I was going to make it for company, I'd have the spinach mixture and sauces done a day or two beforehand so all you have to do is combine them and bake. Making this turned out to be quite time consuming for me. With that said, the tastes are great and the presentation can be amazing. Thanks for posting!
- 4 cups spinach, cooked, drained well and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon onion, scraped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups white sauce, if desired (optional)
- 1 cup hollandaise sauce, if desired (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix spinach with onion, nutmeg, salt and pepper (and add 1 cup of white sauce, if desired).
- Saute chopped mushrooms in butter in a skillet until golden. Mix with the spinach mixture.
- Partly fill 8 individual ovenproof 6-10 ounce ramekins with the mixture.
- Make a well in the center of each ramekin. In each well, carefully place a raw egg.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 350 until the yolk is set and egg white is done. DO NOT OVERCOOK.
- Over all 8 ramekins, pour a heated sauce made by blending the remaining white sauce with 1 cup of Hollandaise, 2 TBS per ramekin.
- Put under the broiler for 2 minutes.
- NOTE: This also may be baked in an 8 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish instead of the individual ramekins.
- WHITE SAUCE:.
- Heat 2 cups milk in a saucepan but DO NOT BOIL. Melt 4 TBS of butter in a medium-sized skillet. Remove from the heat and stir in 4 TBS flour to make a smooth paste. Add this paste, gradually, to the hot milk, stirring constantly until the sauce is smooth and thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Makes 1 cup.
- HOLLANDAISE SAUCE:.
- Beat 4 egg yolks and juice of 2 lemons in a metal bowl over a pan with hot water on medium heat.
- Add 8 ounces of salted butter [Kerry Irish Gold], 2 ounces at a time. Beat hard with a whisk or fork. As you add the fifth and sixth pieces of butter, hold the pan up. away from the hot water, so that the sauce will not get too hot and separate. Stir well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Put back over the hot water, covered, OFF THE HEAT, until ready to serve. Reheat over medium heat for 10 minutes before serving. Males about 1-1/4 cups.
- This will keep covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days - and, tightly covered, in the freezer for several months.