Recipe by Bobbie
It wouldn't be Easter at our house without this dish on our brunch table. It's a favorite of mine -- not only because it's so delicious, but because most of it is put together the night before. Added note: The amount of cheee is correct in this recipe. I know it's a lot, but it's indeed correct.
Top Review by Southern Polar Bear
One of my favorite things to do is to make breakfast for dinner, and this is the perfect recipe for that! It's easy to put together, it's filling, and it's absolutely delicious! This is a recipe that I will make often, especially when we have company staying overnight. Thanks Bobbie!
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄3 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 8 ounces cooked ham, cut into julienne strips
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk (I use 1/2 milk and 1/2 fat free half and half)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, snipped
- 8 eggs, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, lightly toss cheeses together.
- Sprinkle half the cheese mixture in an ungreased 13x9 baking dish.
- In a medium skillet, cook mushrooms, green onions and red pepper in butter/margarine until onions and pepper are tender.
- Arrange vegetable mixture over cheese. Arrange ham strips over vegetables. Sprinkle remaining cheese over ham.*.
- Heat oven to 350.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off.
- In large bowl, using a wire whisk (or can use electric mixer), blend flour, milk, parsley and eggs.
- Pour over layers in baking dish.
- Bake at 350 for 35 to 45 minutes or until mixture is set and top is lightly browned (I find I have to bake mine at least 45 minutes).
- Let stand about 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
- *To make ahead, prepare to this point, cover and refrigerate.