Recipe by levacks
Delicious and SO SIMPLE to make! This is the perfect make-ahead dish. Great for Christmas morning, or for when you have guests. (Prep time does not include the overnight refrigeration process)
Top Review by ladypit
It was just the four of us for Christmas this year (and we had church early in the morning too) so I was looking for easy and tasty things to make ahead. This fit the bill and was really really tasty. I used a combination of leftover bread (some french and some pumpernickle which gave a lovely freckled appearance to the dish) and used low fat chicken and spinach sausage for the meat. Really wonderful flavor and so easy to make. I also loved it cold with some sweet pickles!
- 8 slices bread, crust removed and cubed
- 1⁄2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- cracked black pepper
- bacon or sausage or shrimp or crab (or all four!)
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 3 litre casserole dish or a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Put cubed bread and shredded cheese in after lightly tossing together.
- Mix the eggs, milk, salt and dry mustard together.
- Pour mixture over bread and cheese in casserole dish.
- Add a bit of ground black pepper to the top.
- Refrigerate overnight, covered with plastic wrap.
- Before baking, pour 1/4 cup melted butter over the top, add bacon, shrimp, sausage, crab-- anything that sounds good.
- Bake at 350 F (180 C) for about 45 minutes.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Can also be served cold.
- Delicious with a side spinach salad.