Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Delicious and SO SIMPLE to make! This is the perfect make-ahead dish. Great for Christmas morning, or for when you have guests. (Prep time does not include the overnight refrigeration process)
- 8 slices bread, crust removed and cubed
- 1⁄2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- cracked black pepper
- bacon or sausage or shrimp or crab (or all four!)
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- Grease a 3 litre casserole dish or a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Put cubed bread and shredded cheese in after lightly tossing together.
- Mix the eggs, milk, salt and dry mustard together.
- Pour mixture over bread and cheese in casserole dish.
- Add a bit of ground black pepper to the top.
- Refrigerate overnight, covered with plastic wrap.
- Before baking, pour 1/4 cup melted butter over the top, add bacon, shrimp, sausage, crab-- anything that sounds good.
- Bake at 350 F (180 C) for about 45 minutes.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Can also be served cold.
- Delicious with a side spinach salad.
It was just the four of us for Christmas this year (and we had church early in the morning too) so I was looking for easy and tasty things to make ahead. This fit the bill and was really really tasty. I used a combination of leftover bread (some french and some pumpernickle which gave a lovely freckled appearance to the dish) and used low fat chicken and spinach sausage for the meat. Really wonderful flavor and so easy to make. I also loved it cold with some sweet pickles!
This was so easy to throw together and tasted so good! I used Chicken and Apple Organic Sausage, other than that I followed the recipe exactly. A VERY picky three year old LOVED it! Thank you for posting this recipe!
This is a winner! Very easy to make, and the egg casserole has a nice firm texture! I used maple flavored sausage as a topping and added a little tabasco sauce before serving. Wonderful Christmas Day breakfast...many thanks for sharing this! :)