Recipe by Bec
From the "Scandinavian and American Recipes" cookbook, which contains recipes submitted by parents and friends of the Svenskarnas Dag Girls Choir. Preparation time does not include standing time.
- 453.59 g swedish brown beans
- 1656.13 ml water
- 177.44 ml firmly packed brown sugar
- 177.44 ml dark corn syrup
- 78.07 ml vinegar
- 9.85 ml salt
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 9.85 ml cornstarch
- 14.79 ml cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and drain beans.
- Add 7 cups water.
- Cover and let stand overnight.
- In the morning, bring to simmering point.
- Cover tightly and simmer 3- 3 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Add sugar, syrup, vinegar, salt and nutmeg.
- Mix cornstarch with 1 tablespoon cold water and stir into beans.
- Simmer uncovered 15 minutes, until thickened (you may need to add more cornstarch).
- Serve hot.