Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs 15 mins
From the "Scandinavian and American Recipes" cookbook, which contains recipes submitted by parents and friends of the Svenskarnas Dag Girls Choir. Preparation time does not include standing time.
- Wash and drain beans.
- Add 7 cups water.
- Cover and let stand overnight.
- In the morning, bring to simmering point.
- Cover tightly and simmer 3- 3 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Add sugar, syrup, vinegar, salt and nutmeg.
- Mix cornstarch with 1 tablespoon cold water and stir into beans.
- Simmer uncovered 15 minutes, until thickened (you may need to add more cornstarch).
- Serve hot.