Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Courtesy of Food and Wine. This is really good! The rich, thick texture of this lemon and cinnamon scented pudding comes from using starchy medium-grain rice. For a more intense cinnamon flavor, mix 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon into the brown sugar topping.
- 6 cups whole milk
- 1 lemon, zest of, in wide strips
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 1 cup medium grain rice (such as bomba, Valencia or arborio, 7 ounces)
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- In a medium enameled cast-iron casserole, combine the milk with the lemon zest and cinnamon stick and bring to a simmer over moderate heat.
- Add the rice and cook over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Discard the lemon zest and cinnamon stick.
- Continue to cook the rice, stirring often, until it is just tender, about 50 minutes.
- Add the cream and simmer, stirring often, until the rice is very tender and the pudding is creamy, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the granulated sugar and simmer over moderate heat until dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon the pudding into six 1-cup ramekins and let cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Using a coarse sieve, sift 1 tablespoon of brown sugar over each pudding.
- Set 3 ramekins on a small baking sheet and broil 4 inches from the heat for 20 seconds, or until the sugar is bubbling; repeat with the remaining ramekins.
- Let cool until the sugar hardens, then serve.
- MAKE AHEAD The pudding can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
- Top with brown sugar and broil just before serving.