Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Revised September 10. Original recipe comes from Williams & Sanoma however I have made modifications to simplify. Great light orange flavor. Also a great way to put my culinary torch to work!
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier (optional)
- 6 slices brioche bread, each 1 3/4 inches thick
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, and serving (for cooking)
- 6 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups maple syrup, for serving
- In bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, milk, orange juice, brown sugar, vanilla, orange zest, salt and Grand Marnier until blended.
- Soak bread slices in egg mixture 10 seconds per side.
- Heat fry pan over medium heat; brush with butter.
- When pan is hot, cook bread in batches (do not overcrowd) until golden and crisp, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer French toast to baking sheet.
- Sprinkle tsp granulated sugar evenly over surface of each slice.
- Using culinary torch, move flame continuously in small circles over surface until sugar melts and lightly browns. Serve immediately with maple syrup and butter.
This was thoroughly enjoyed over the weekend, I did use the Grand Marnier and that really took this French toast to a whole new level! thanks for sharing hon!...Kitten:)
This was good French Toast but I found the orange flavor to be a bit too light. I was hoping for something more flavorful. I did not use Grand Marnier which may have made a difference ... I'll try that next time.