Recipe by Galley Wench
Revised September 10. Original recipe comes from Williams & Sanoma however I have made modifications to simplify. Great light orange flavor. Also a great way to put my culinary torch to work!
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
This was thoroughly enjoyed over the weekend, I did use the Grand Marnier and that really took this French toast to a whole new level! thanks for sharing hon!...Kitten:)
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier (optional)
- 6 slices brioche bread, each 1 3/4 inches thick
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, and serving (for cooking)
- 6 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups maple syrup, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- In bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, milk, orange juice, brown sugar, vanilla, orange zest, salt and Grand Marnier until blended.
- Soak bread slices in egg mixture 10 seconds per side.
- Heat fry pan over medium heat; brush with butter.
- When pan is hot, cook bread in batches (do not overcrowd) until golden and crisp, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer French toast to baking sheet.
- Sprinkle tsp granulated sugar evenly over surface of each slice.
- Using culinary torch, move flame continuously in small circles over surface until sugar melts and lightly browns. Serve immediately with maple syrup and butter.