Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Hollanders like plain, substantial food and lots of it. This hearty dish would serve as well as a main dish as it would a side and is courtesy of the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Overnight soaking time not included in preparation time.
- Soak beans overnight in cold water.
- Drain, place in kettle and cover with boiling salted water and cook until tender, 3 to 5 hours.
- Dice bacon and fry until crisp; drain well.
- Slice onions thinly and fry in bacon fat.
- Mix bacon, vinegar and cooked onions with the beans; serve.