1/1 Photo of Brown's Cottage Pie
1 hr 20 mins
We developed this recipe ourselves through experimentation, and we've finally hit the point where we call it perfect.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 750 g ground beef (that's 1/3 of a 5 lb chub)
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 450 g mushrooms, cubed
- 100 g frozen peas
- 100 g frozen lima beans
- 100 g frozen French-cut green beans
- 1 (284 ml) can condensed beef broth
- 5 ml montreal steak spice
- 45 ml HP steak sauce
- 3 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 1 turnip, peeled and cubed
- 900 g red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 30 ml butter
- 60 ml milk
- 5 ml garlic salt
- 30 ml dried chives
- 1Set the oven to 400°F.
- 2Boil a large pot of water, add turnips and potatoes.
- 3In a large wok or saucepan, fry ground beef until cooked, lift out beef and use fat to fry onions.
- 4When onions begin to caramelize, add celery and continue to fry.
- 5When celery is cooked, add mushrooms and continue to fry.
- 6Put beef back in pan, add peas, lima beans, green beans, broth, Montreal Steak Spice, HP sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7Drain potatoes and turnip, mash them. Add butter, milk, garlic salt, and chives, mix and mash thoroughly.
- 8Grease a 13x9 pan with butter. Pour in meat and vegetables, pack them down flat and even across pan. Spread mashed potatoes on top. I like to use plastic trowels to first get the top perfectly flat, and then use a notched trowel to put a wavy texture on it. The pie may be covered with foil and refrigerated at this point if you wish. Bake at 400°F for 35 minutes, preferably with a convection fan, turning the pan around halfway through to brown the topping evenly.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown's Cottage Pie
Serving Size: 1 (408 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 530.9
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 96.5 mg
- Sodium 571.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 34.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
HP steak sauce