Recipe by Space Burger Steve
We developed this recipe ourselves through experimentation, and we've finally hit the point where we call it perfect.
- 750 g ground beef (that's 1/3 of a 5 lb chub)
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 450 g mushrooms, cubed
- 100 g frozen peas
- 100 g frozen lima beans
- 100 g frozen French-cut green beans
- 1 (284 ml) can condensed beef broth
- 5 ml montreal steak spice
- 45 ml HP steak sauce
- 3 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 1 turnip, peeled and cubed
- 900 g red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 30 ml butter
- 60 ml milk
- 5 ml garlic salt
- 30 ml dried chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Set the oven to 400°F.
- Boil a large pot of water, add turnips and potatoes.
- In a large wok or saucepan, fry ground beef until cooked, lift out beef and use fat to fry onions.
- When onions begin to caramelize, add celery and continue to fry.
- When celery is cooked, add mushrooms and continue to fry.
- Put beef back in pan, add peas, lima beans, green beans, broth, Montreal Steak Spice, HP sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain potatoes and turnip, mash them. Add butter, milk, garlic salt, and chives, mix and mash thoroughly.
- Grease a 13x9 pan with butter. Pour in meat and vegetables, pack them down flat and even across pan. Spread mashed potatoes on top. I like to use plastic trowels to first get the top perfectly flat, and then use a notched trowel to put a wavy texture on it. The pie may be covered with foil and refrigerated at this point if you wish. Bake at 400°F for 35 minutes, preferably with a convection fan, turning the pan around halfway through to brown the topping evenly.