Recipe by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
I've fallen in love with the chocolate and orange combination and wanted a brownie recipe to add to my collection. This is what I came up with. I didn't measure the zest or juice. I used half the zest of a large orange in each part and squeezed in enough orange juice to make a smooth icing.
Top Review by Mirj
I always did have a thing for Marg's recipes, and it's probably because we both love the same things. The chocolate and orange flavor combination is proof that God exists, and these brownies are even further proof! I needed these to be non-dairy, so I used a full cup of margarine instead of the shortening/butter combo in the recipe, and with margarine also in the icing, that was the only change I made. Using the Microplane made the best zest and I also think that one cup of cocoa didn't hurt either! ;-) I lined the pan with parchment paper, and the brownies just lifted out for easy cutting. Mmmmmm, Marg, thanks for this one!
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup real butter
- 1 cup cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest (optional)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup real butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar (approximately)
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice (approximately)
- 1⁄4 cup chocolate-flavored candy coating or 1⁄4 cup chocolate chips, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 13x9 inch pan.
- Melt shortening, butter in the microwave.
- Stir in cocoa, blending well with a wooden spoon.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Add eggs one at a time, beat well, by hand, after each addition. (It is important to add the eggs individually and to mix them by hand. If you don't, the brownies do not turn out near as good.).
- Stir in zest and vanilla. Stir in flour, and salt. DO NOT OVER BEAT!
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Cool completely before icing.
- For icing: Cream butter and zest then add vanilla.
- Add sugar a cup at a time beating on medium speed.
- Add orange juice 1 Tbls. at a time and beat on high until completely blended.
- Frost cooled brownies.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave and drizzle over icing.
- Cut into bars.