Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Created by Jessica Seinfeld From the book Deceptively Delicious These brownies fool everyone! You won't believe how scrumptious they are (or how good they are for you) until you make them yourself. Just don't serve them warm—it's not until they're completely cool that the spinach flavor totally disappears.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, puree
- 1⁄2 cup spinach, puree
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed (or dark)
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Coat an 8" x 8" baking pan with cooking spray.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or over a very low flame.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted chocolate, vegetable purees, sugar, cocoa powder, margarine and vanilla and whisk until smooth and creamy, 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in egg whites. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake 35-40 minutes. Cool completely in the pan before cutting into 12 bars.