Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Created by Jessica Seinfeld From the book Deceptively Delicious These brownies fool everyone! You won't believe how scrumptious they are (or how good they are for you) until you make them yourself. Just don't serve them warm—it's not until they're completely cool that the spinach flavor totally disappears.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, puree
- 1⁄2 cup spinach, puree
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed (or dark)
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Coat an 8" x 8" baking pan with cooking spray.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or over a very low flame.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted chocolate, vegetable purees, sugar, cocoa powder, margarine and vanilla and whisk until smooth and creamy, 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in egg whites. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake 35-40 minutes. Cool completely in the pan before cutting into 12 bars.
I have made these before and they are very good. Not a traditional brownie texture, but very chocolatey and delicious!
These are really very good. I made these last night and sampled them in the morning. I was very happy to find that, for a "low fat, high fiber(ish)" brownie they didn't taste too bad. These are by no means a fudgey, chocolate filled brownie but they do the trick when you are wanting something chocolately but still wanting to stick to your diet/healthy lifestyle. My child would have absolutely no problem eathing these and wanting more! I also brought them to work and nobody could guess that there was spinach and carrots in them! Will definetly make again!
I'm glad I waited to rate these; I could taste the spinach last night after I made them, even cooled. By today the spinach taste was gone, not even a hint. These are ok. not the greatest brownie in the world but they do sneak in some veggies so I will make them again to fool the kids.