Recipe by beckerd
Here is something a little different-a broiled peanut butter topping a a cake-like brownie. This recipe came from "Brownies to Die For" cookbook
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease an 8" square pan.
- For the brownie base: Combine the butter and chocolate in a large saucepan over low heat, stirring until mixture is melted and smooth.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Beat in sugar and vanilla using a hand mixer.
- Add eggs;beat well.
- Stir in flour, mixing until batter is smooth.
- Gently stir in chips.
- Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted near the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Cool pan slightly on a wire rack.
- For the broiled topping: Heat broiler.
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl, blending well.
- Spread atop warm brownie base.
- Broil 4-6" from heat until bubbly and light golden brown.
- This only takes a minute or two.
- Mixture burns easily, so don't get distracted-watch carefully!
- Serve warm or cool.
- Cut into squares.