Recipe by Karen Anne Newton RN
These delicious Brownies are slightly lower in fat, without loosing any of the taste.
- 1⁄2 cup sifted cake flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with vegetable cooking spray, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, and salt. Mix well.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg whites, egg, sugar, applesauce, oil, and vanilla.
- Stir in flour mixture until just blended; do not overmix, or brownies will be dry.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, and sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake until just set, and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Place pan on a wire rack and cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Cut brownies into squares.
- Variation: For slightly chewier brownies, replace the 1/2 cup of cake flour with 7 Tbl. of all-purpose flour. (Sifting is not necessary.) Proceed with the recipe as directed.
- For extra easy cleanup: line the baking pan with waxed paper, letting paper overhang the edges of the pan by 1 inch, before pouring in the batter. Spraying the pan with oil is not necessary.
- Bake and cool as directed, then simply lift them out of the pan by grasping the edges of the waxed paper.