Recipe by Jheryn
Like many people we are eating healther and cutting out sugars, oils, and trying to use wheat alternatives. The recipe below is for our brownies without those things. As good as they taste, we wouldn't know they weren't the real sugary thing if we had not made them ourselves! Enjoy!
Top Review by falfonso
I didn't have enough agave so I used about half maple syrup... I also read previous reviews and added in about 1/4 cup (equivalent) of splenda... brownies WERE a bit chewy, but that is from using applesauce instead of oil... This is a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth without feeling too guilty.
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3⁄4 cup agave nectar
- 3 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup spelt flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup almonds (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease an 8x8” pan.
- Whisk together applesauce, cocoa, and agave.
- Whisk egg whites into mixture one at a time.
- Stir in vanilla and salt until blended.
- Stir in spelt until the mixture is smooth but no longer than that.
- Blend in almonds if you desire.
- Pour into greased pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes in preheated oven.
- Remove from oven and completely cool before cutting.