Does 'zaar really need _another_ Brownie recipe? Probably not but this is a wonderful old recipe from the Edith Hansen cook book. It gives a chewy, dense brownie with an old fashioned flavor. Be careful to not overbake it. The original recipe calls for "part lard if desired" which I have left in as part of the recipe's charm but I always use margarine. Frosting these is gilding the lilly so I don't.
- Cream shortening and sugar well.
- If chocolate squares are used, melt and add to creamed mixture. If cocoa is used, sift together with the flour and the salt.
- To creamed mixture, add beaten eggs, vanilla, flour, salt and nuts with some of the flour shaken over them.
- Bake in a greased and floured 9 x 13" pan in a 350°F oven until it shrinks from the edges of the pan (about 25 to 30 minutes).
- Let cool and cut into squares.