Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
Something special for breakfast
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening, plus
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk (do not use fat free milk)
- Add the shortening and chocolate tot the top of a double boiler set over simmering water.
- Stir constantly until half of the shortening and chocolate is melted.
- Remove the top of the double boiler; then continue stirring away from the heat, until the shortening and chocolate are completely melted; let cool for no more than 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat and grease a waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions.
- In a big bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt until smooth and combined, using an electric mixer at low speed.
- Slowly add the melted chocolate mixture in a thin ribbon, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in ½ cup flour into the batter, then ½ cup milk, then ¾ cup flour, then remaining ½ cup milk, and finally the remaining flour.
- Stir only until each addition is incorporated.
- Pour ½ cup batter into the middle of the waffle iron.
- Close the lid and bake for 3 minutes or until the waffle is cooked to the desired crispness.
- Remove and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve immediately, or keep them warm on a cookie sheet or an oven safe plate in a 250° oven.