Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From a 1966 circular. It says that it's great with ice cream, and I'm sure it is! Posted for future use.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup nuts, finely chopped
- Melt butter and chocolate in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, and add sugar, and beat well.
- Add vanilla, and allow to cool.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well. Sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Add alternately with milk to the chocolate mixture.
- Add nuts.
- Bake according to directions on waffle iron.
- Waffles will crisp as they cool.
- Refrigerate any leftover batter.
- If using from refrigerated, add 1/4 tsp baking powder dissolved in 1 tsp water for every cup cold batter.
- Batter will keep for several days in refrigerator.
- ***If you'd like, you can sub 1/2 sour cream for half the milk, and use 1/2 tsp baking SODA and 1 tsp cream of tartar, in place of all milk and baking powder.***.