Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
What could be a more romantic way to end a dinner than with truffles. I came across this quote recently- "The truffle is not exactly an aphrodisiac, but it tends to make women more tender and men more likeable." - by French gastronome Brillat-Savarin
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml instant coffee granules, processed in a food processor
- 29.58 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 113.39 g unsweetened chocolate
- 226.79 g unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml unbleached all-purpose flour
- 0.59 ml salt
- 9.85 ml pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Butter an 8x16-inch pan.
- Make the coating by combining the 1 cup sugar, the powdered coffee, and the cocoa. Set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, or the microwave, melt the chocolate and butter together. Beat the eggs until they are light and then gradually beat in the 2 cups sugar. Stir in the chocolate mixture. Gradually add the flour, salt, and vanilla. This mixture is not meant to be light and fluffy, just fully incorporated. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake 25 minutes. The brownies will be slightly underdone and very moist. Allow to cool in the pan.
- When cool enough to handle, cut the brownies into 1x1-inch squares. Roll each square in the palms of your hands into balls about 1 inch in diameter. Roll the balls in the coating mixture. Pack in tins or plastic containers with wax paper between the layers and store in the refrigerator for up to a week. Or place them in a single layer on a cookie sheet in the freezer until frozen, pack in containers, and store in the freezer up to 4 months.
These are DELICIOUS. The only issue I have with them are the edges. You've really gotta crush them well, in order for them to ball up nicely, whereas the more central squares, were overly moist. Tasty nonetheless.
These were great to bring to my neighbors for dessert. Everyone loved them!
out of ALL the truffles i have tried, these have to be one of the best ever. i loved them. hubby was a bit skeptical about the coffee granules ground up with the sugar and cocoa for rolling in, but he liked it after he tried it. i love just the brownies too! haha, i guess i gained 2 recipes with this one! i will be replacing my betty crocker boxed brownie mix with your recipe for brownies! i loved them!