Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This simple recipe dresses up plain brownie mix and makes it into something special.
- 2 (20 ounce) boxes brownie mix (I use Duncan Hines double fudge brownie mix)
- 3 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee, ground up with spoon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together cake ingredients until smooth.
- Grease and flour 2 10"-diameter round pans, line them with wax paper which has also been greased and floured.
- Bake for 23 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Chill for one hour.
- For frosting:
- Chill a mixing bowl and, with an electric mixer, beat cream until it begins to thicken.
- Then, while mixing, gradually add sugar and coffee. Continue beating until stiff.
- Place one pan of brownies on a cake plate and use just short of half the frosting to ice the top and sides.
- Then, place other pan of brownies on top of first layer and use remaining icing on top and sides of the cake.