Recipe by Mousie Ann
I pulled this from a Real Simple magazine and included them in the goodie bags I put together every year for friends and family. It got rave reviews so I thought I would share. You get to eat a brownie without all the guilt. Feel free to sprinkle the tops with any of your favorite nuts . These cookies can be made up to 5 days ahead...just make sure they are stored in an airtight container and kept at a steady room temperature.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 pinch of coarse kosher salt
- nonstick veggie cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pistachios (or any other favorites)
Directions See How It's Made
- Position rack in lowest third of oven; preheat to 350 degrees.
- Butter 2 baking sheets.
- Place butter and chocolate in microwave safe bowl and microwave on med-high until almost melted (I use 30 sec intervals).
- Whisk until smooth.
- Add sugar and egg; whisk until smooth.
- Add flour, both extracts, and salt; stir until almost blended.
- Let batter stand for 10 minutes.
- Scoop rounded teaspoonfuls of batter on to prepared sheets, spacing apart to allow 12 per sheet.
- Spray sheet of wax/parchment paper with cooking spray and place sprayed side down over the cookies.
- Press each mound to 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 inches round; remove wax/parchment paper.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts over rounds.
- Bake cookies one sheet at a time for approximately 7 minutes. The cookies are ready when the edges turn darker and the center is firm.
- Cool on sheet for 2 minutes; transfer cookies to rack to cool completely.