Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is calls for only 2 tablespoons of a well-beaten egg (beat for 45-60 seconds). Even a medium sized egg would be too much egg so for best results beat the egg and then measure it. It also requests two 1-cup ramekins or custard or 2 deep 1 1/2 to 2 cup oven proof bowls. It is wonderful served warm, with a scoop of ice cream. This version is for just 2 servings. As originally seen in Small Batch Baking.
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, separated
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder, separated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons eggs, well-beaten
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄3 cup boiling water
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350ºF. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet for easier handling, and set it aside.
- Place the flour, sugar, 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of the cocoa powder, the baking powder, and salt in a medium-sized bowl and whisk to blend.
- Place the beaten egg, butter, milk, and vanilla in another medium-sized bowl, and whisk to blend. Pour the flour mixture over the egg mixture, and stir with a wooden spoon just until the batter is combined. Stir in the walnuts and chocolate chips. Spoon the batter into the ramekins, dividing it evenly between them.
- Place the remaining 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cocoa powder, the brown sugar, and the boiling water in a small bowl, and whisk to mix well. Pour the mixture over the batter in the ramekins. Bake the cakes until a toothpick inserted in the center of one comes out with a few crumbs clinging to it, about 20 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven, transfer the ramekins to a wire rack, and let them cool for 10 minutes. Serve the cakes warm, in the ramekins, topped with scoops of ice cream if desired.