This recipe is calls for only 2 tablespoons of a well-beaten egg (beat for 45-60 seconds). Even a medium sized egg would be too much egg so for best results beat the egg and then measure it. It also requests two 1-cup ramekins or custard or 2 deep 1 1/2 to 2 cup oven proof bowls. It is wonderful served warm, with a scoop of ice cream. This version is for just 2 servings. As originally seen in Small Batch Baking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, separated
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder, separated
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons eggs, well-beaten
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350ºF. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet for easier handling, and set it aside.
- 2Place the flour, sugar, 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of the cocoa powder, the baking powder, and salt in a medium-sized bowl and whisk to blend.
- 3Place the beaten egg, butter, milk, and vanilla in another medium-sized bowl, and whisk to blend. Pour the flour mixture over the egg mixture, and stir with a wooden spoon just until the batter is combined. Stir in the walnuts and chocolate chips. Spoon the batter into the ramekins, dividing it evenly between them.
- 4Place the remaining 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cocoa powder, the brown sugar, and the boiling water in a small bowl, and whisk to mix well. Pour the mixture over the batter in the ramekins. Bake the cakes until a toothpick inserted in the center of one comes out with a few crumbs clinging to it, about 20 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven, transfer the ramekins to a wire rack, and let them cool for 10 minutes. Serve the cakes warm, in the ramekins, topped with scoops of ice cream if desired.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brownie Surprise Pudding Cake
Serving Size: 1 (168 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 456.9
- Calories from Fat 176
- Total Fat 19.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 86.0 mg
- Sodium 207.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 52.1 g
- Protein 6.9 g