Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I found this recipe on a Land-O-Lakes box, but I added things to it.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄4 cup milk (or half and half)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 24 marshmallows, cut into halves
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 dash salt
- 3 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 4 -5 tablespoons milk
- 1 (16 ounce) can chocolate frosting
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Combine 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup margarine in large mixer bowl.
- Beat at medium speed until creamy.
- Add egg and vanilla, and continue beating until well mixed.
- Reduce speed to low,and add all remaining cookie ingredients except marshmallows.
- Beat until well mixed.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 6-7 minutes or until edges are just set.
- Remove from oven.
- Press 1 marshmallow half onto center of each cookie.
- Continue baking for 2 minutes or until marshmallow is softened.
- Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets.
- Cool completely.
- Combine all frosting ingredients except milk in small mixer bowl.
- Beat at low speed, adding enough milk for desired spreading consistency.
- Frost cooled cookies, covering entire marshmallow.
- Variations: Before putting frosting over cooled cookies, spread a thin layer of peanut butter, caramel, or seedless raspberry jelly over marshmallow, and then add your frosting.
These were so simple to make and my husband was thrilled with the ooey-gooey marshmallow surprise! I didn't change anything in this recipe except to use butter in place of the margarine (I don't normally use margarine). I also cheated and used the canned frosting which made these a breeze to make. I'm sure he'll be asking me to make these again! Thanks, Linda!