Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄4 cup pecans
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, the 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon of the cocoa powder, and the baking powder.
- Add milk, oil, and vanilla.
- Stir until smooth.
- Stir in nuts.
- Transfer batter to an ungreased 1-quart casserole.
- In a small bowl stir together 1/3 cup sugar and the remaining 2 tablespoon s cocoa powder.
- Gradually stir in the boiling water.
- Pour the mixture evenly over batter in casserole.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven about 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center of cake comes out clean.
- Serve Warm.
My mother-in-law has made this for my husband since he was a child. He can't get enough of it. He purchased the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook just to make sure I had my own copy of the recipe!