Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
One of my favourite comfort desserts, adapted to be lower in calories. Easy to make when you need a chocolate fix.
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon apple butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- Stir together flour, 3 Tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, and baking powder.
- Add milk, apple butter, and vanilla.
- Stir till smooth.
- Transfer batter to 1-quart baking dish.
- Combine the 5 Tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons cocoa.
- Gradually stir in boiling water.
- Pour evenly over batter.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
- Serve warm.
the whole family enjoyed this with vanilla frozen yogurt! I didn't have any applesauce, so I subbed strawberry jam. Thanks Zenith!
i've made this so many times. It's such an easy low fat recipe. i substitute strawberry jelly for the apple butter. It's wonderful as written. Sometimes i add orange extract to the sauce part before cooking or use coffee instead of the boiling water. Delicious! Thanks for the recipe!!
This was awesome! My husbanloved it!. I used Splenda in place of the sugar. I also did not have apple butter or apple sauce so I used Sugar-Free Strawberry Jam. I topped with lite-cherry pie filling. I have a feeling my husband will be requesting this often. Thanks for the great recipe!