Recipe by Mirj
I've been making this easy dessert for as long as I have been cooking. It's very chocolately, a big hit with kids, especially if you let them add their own ice cream, whipped cream and topping.
Top Review by Sam #3
This was pretty good, but I found it was kind of bland. I will admit that I have never been a fan of the cake/brownie/pudding mixes that you can buy, and this may be the problem. It was very easy to throw together though and my daughter did love it. I will make this again, but it would really be for my daughter and DH
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- Add milk, shortening, and vanilla; mix well.
- Stir in nuts.
- Pour batter into a greased 8-inch square baking pan.
- Combine brown sugar and remaining 1/4 cup cocoa; sprinkle over batter.
- Pour water over top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F.
- for 40 minutes.
- Serve warm over vanilla ice cream, if desired.