These pancakes are a woman's dream! They can be served in a variety of ways: with lots of butter and warm maple or blueberry syrup, layered with sliced pears and drizzled with honey, served with sour cream and shaved chocolate, served with sweetened whipped cream and chopped nuts, or served for dessert, topped with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge sauce. Or for the kids, allow the pancakes to cool and use them for the tops and bottoms of ice cream sandwiches! This fabulous recipe comes from The Ultimate Brownie Book. It can be lactose-free if unsalted margarine and soy milk are used.
My Private Note
4inch p ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter or 8 tablespoons margarine, at room temperature
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk (whole or low-fat, but not fat-free) or 1 cup soymilk
- 1In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt until well combined; set aside.
- 2If using any of the mix-ins (or a combination), stir 1 cup of each into the flour mixture.
- 3Place the butter and chocolate in the top of a double boiler set over simmering water.
- 4If you don't have a double boiler, place the butter and chocolate in a heat-safe bowl that fits snugly over a small pot of simmering water.
- 5Stir constantly until half the butter and chocolate is melted.
- 6Remove the top of the double boiler or the bowl from the pot; then continue stirring, away from the heat, until the butter and chocolate are completely melted.
- 7Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- 8Meanwhile, heat a nonstick griddle or a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
- 9In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla just until combined and foamy, using a whisk or an electric mixer at low speed.
- 10Beat in the melted chocolate mixture until the batter is uniform, about 4 minutes by hand or 2 minutes with a mixer.
- 11With a wooden spoon or a rubber spatula, stir in the flour mixture just until combined; then stir in the milk just until the batter is pourable.
- 12Do not overmix!
- 13Pour 2 Tbsp of the batter onto the heated griddle; repeat, spacing the pancakes evenly.
- 14Cook for 1 minute, until bubbles form across the surface of the pancakes; turn.
- 15Cook an additional minute.
- 16Remove the pancakes and serve immediately, or keep them warm on a cookie sheet in a 250 degree oven.
- 17Repeat with the remaining batter.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brownie Pancakes
Serving Size: 1 (1575 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 141.1
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 41.8 mg
- Sodium 139.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 2.9 g