Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
In response to a recipe request for a treat called Washington Square Cake. This recipe was found in a newspaper article on the internet. This is suppose to be a cross between a brownie and chocolate cake sold at Hellsterns Bakery in the Millcreek Shopping Center on Kirkwood Highway in Wilmington. This is not named Washington Square cake, but it probably comes close. The original may have included ginger or molasses too. I have not tested this recipe.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour or 1 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 ounces melted unsweetened chocolate (cool)
- 2⁄3 cup finely chopped nuts
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease and flour an 8- or 9-inch square pan.
- Measure all ingredients into a large mixer bowl.
- Blend one-half minute on low speed, scraping bowl constantly.
- Pour into the pan.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake and frost with a fudge frosting if desired.