Prep 2 mins
Cook 2 mins
If you are thinking about making a tin of brownies, or baking a cake, or even going to the store and buying donuts, stop. Don't proceed. Instead make this amazing chocolate brownie in less than 2 minutes. Indulging in a treat like this is perfect for those of you (me included) on a diet, who are craving dessert but don't want to go overboard by baking a dozen cookies or so. A single serving is very satisfying, and I've included 6 different variations so you can adjust the toppings/mix-ins to your taste. I tried the mounds one tonight and it was AMAZING! I also used hersheys special dark cocoa powder instead of regular cocoa, and it came out extra rich and chocolatey. This is a dense, moist and rich mug brownie, perfect with a glass of milk or a scoop of ice cream, enjoy!!!
- Add all of dry ingredients to mug.
- Mix well with a fork or small whisk until blended.
- Add oil or melted butter, water, and vanilla.
- Mix well (add mix-ins if using).
- Put in the microwave and cook on high heat for 1 minute 40 seconds - 2 minutes (less time for a more moist brownie, more time for a more cake-like brownie).
- Add toppings or a scoop of ice cream and enjoy!
- Mounds: add 1-2 tablespoons chocolate chips and a sprinkling of sweetened flaked coconut on top of cooked brownie.
- Peanut Butter Swirl: add 1-2 tbsp creamy peanut butter into mix before microwaving, or add 1 tablespoons on top of brownie after its cooked (I've noticed the peanut butter swirl tastes best with peanut butter on top of the brownie after it's cooked).
- Berry Jam: top cooked brownie with 1-2 tablespoons melted berry jam (strawberry, raspberry or blackberry is best. Just heat in microwave until melted then pour over brownie).
- S'mores: top cooked brownie with mini marshmallows and graham cracker crumbs.
- Candy Bar: mix in 1-2 tablespoons of your favorite chopped chocolate candy bar into the mix before heating, or add m&ms.
- Caramel Sea Salt: drop 2 salted caramels into the middle of the mix before heating, and once done top with a light sprinkle of sea salt.
Rich, sweet, fudgy, easy to make, and versatile --- seriously, what's not to love? It was satisfying enough that I suspect I could've happily shared it with someone (I didn't, just sayin', lol). I didn't have any salted caramels for the version I wanted, so I improvised a bit: handful of mini Rolo's, sprinkling of Fleur de Sel, and a small dollop of some Mexican cajeta. Oh, and a squirt of whipped cream for good measure. I didn't want to make it too cakey, so I used the minimum amount of cook time. Definitely a keeper! I see myself whipping this one out more often than I should, lol. Thanks for posting! Made for the 2013 Variety is the Spice of Life event
Definitely good for a quick brownie fix. I made this recipe twice, but the variations were pretty much the same. I wanted to use some of my homemade caramel for a salted caramel brownie. The first time I made this I used raw cacao and dropped about two teaspoons of homemade caramel into the middle of the mixed batter. The raw cacao is something I only use in raw desserts, and it's always just too dark chocolate tasting for me. However, I was making this for my son's quick dessert fix, so it was fine for him. I didn't photograph it though, because it was pretty ugly. The caramel oozed everywhere, making the cooked brownie spread out on the plate in a sloppy mess. He said it was delicious, despite its look. The second time I made it, I used my favorite Dutch processed cocoa powder, and saved my caramel for drizzling on the plate and over the cooked dessert instead. The flavor was more my taste and the caramel didn't make the brownie fall apart. My one concern is not being able to get the whole brownie out of the cup. I think I'll try spraying it with some non-stick spray next time. My daughter and I enjoyed the second brownie together. :) Thanks for sharing, Alaina! Made and enjoyed for the Variety is the Spice of Life tag game.
This was good and easy. I was afraid there was too much batter for my mug so I used a bowl. Added a couple crushed mini Butterfinger candy bars (and another on top for garnish!) Might add some vanilla next time as it seemed to be lacking something for my taste and am thinking that might be what it needs. Thanks for sharing! [Made for Variety is the Spice of Life 2013]