Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
I've made this numerous times and it is a lot of fun. Also works really well with egg cookie cutters for Easter. Let your imagination run wild.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, plus more for cake pan
- 2 1⁄2 cups light-brown sugar, packed
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- confectioners' sugar, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, for coating bites
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter a 9-by-13-inch cake pan.
- Cut a piece of waxed paper to fit the bottom, and press it onto buttered surface
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, and chocolate.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. If the chocolate is not softened, continue to microwave at 10-second intervals, removing before completely melted.
- Beat the eggs and vanilla into the melted chocolate with a wooden spoon.
- Beat in the flour and salt.
- Pour into prepared pan, and smooth the top.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan. Turn the brownie cake out onto a baking sheet, and flip over onto a work surface.
- Cut out the brownies with a 2 1/2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter.
- Dust with cocoa if you like.
- Form the scraps into 1-inch balls, and roll them in the coating of your choice.