1/1 Photo of Brownie Classic Mama's JustLike
1 hr 20 mins
These are not flat like candy bars or fluffy like a piece of cake. Very full chocolate flavor brought about using baker's unsweetened chocolate. "Neither fudgy or cakey but with a nice chew". That's how the recipe read in a magazine that published it from Cook's Illustrated (Erika Bruce). I tried it exactly as printed, then adjusted a couple things. Now they taste and chew as described and MY photo looks very much like their photo. Excellent for folks wanting a great texture and nice grownup chocolate flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place oven rack so 13 x 9 pan will sit in middle of oven.
- 2Temp: 330 degrees.
- 318" foil folded lengthwise to 8" wide - push into pan bottom long way.
- 414" foil 12" wide - place into pan bottom across width.
- 5The overhang acts as handles to remove entire baked brownie after cooling. Coat foil with nonstick cooking spray (this method works great by the way).
- 6Spread the WALNUTS on a cookie sheet and roast for about 8 minutes. Set aside.
- 7In small mixing bowl whisk together FLOUR, SALT, BAKING POWDER.
- 8Set aside.
- 9In large bowl melt CHOCOLATE and BUTTER in a sauce pan of near boiling water (on stove simmering). If butter is right out of refrigerator this is 10 minutes or so.
- 10Stir this occasionally until smooth.
- 11Remove hot bowl from sauce pan and gradually whisk in SUGAR.
- 12Add EGGS one at a time whisking EACH in thoroughly.
- 13Whisk in VANILLA.
- 14With a rubber spatula, add one third of the FLOUR MIXTURE at a time folding in fully each time. I add the WALNUTS as the last third becomes blended.
- 15Transfer into baking pan on top of oiled foil strips, smooth out.
- 16BAKE at 330 degrees for 35 minutes. If toothpick pushed into center comes out with a couple crumbs, it's done. My oven requires 40 minutes.
- 17Cool to room temperature (2 hours) and lift out with foil "handles". Cut into 2" squares and serve. That's what original directions say.
- 18Tip: After cool, I lift whole "cake" to break it loose (doesn't take much at all) and leave it in dish. Put a cutting board on top and flip the whole thing. Now, on cutting board peel foil off and put back baking dish back on and flip back. NOW, cut it up. Baking dish is a serving dish with easily removed 2" brownies!
- 19Tip2: After cooling for a little while I put it on my granite top and move it every ten minutes. When I want a brownie quicker, this helps that pesky room temperature thing quite a bit.
- 20Sorry laminate counter top guys. Don't ruin your counters with hot stuff.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brownie Classic Mama's JustLike
Serving Size: 1 (90 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 381.0
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 79.3 mg
- Sodium 213.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 32.5 g
- Protein 5.4 g