Recipe by Southern Lady
I LOVE cake like brownies and although I haven't tried this recipe, it sounds so wonderful. (Quantity depends on how large you cut your pieces)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup margarine (or butter)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco shortening
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted (or butter)
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together sugar, flour and salt.
- In a saucepan, bring to a boil margarine, water, Crisco and cocoa powder. Add to the flour mixture.
- Dissolve baking soda into buttermilk and add mixture.
- Add eggs. Mix all together well.
- Pour into greased and floured jellyroll pan Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees or until a wooden pick comes out clean.
- Put melted butter in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Beat in remaining ingredients except chopped nuts. Fold in nuts.
- Pour over hot brownie base.
- Cut into squares when cool.