Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Another recipe courtesy of my Mom - she's had it in her cookbook for years...Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarse dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Combine breadcrumbs, chocolate chunks, sugar& milk in the top of a double boiler until chocolate is melted.
- Stir in butter.
- In a small dish, beat egg& salt together and add into chocolate mixture, along with walnuts.
- Pour into a greased 1 quart dish.
- Set dish in a pan filled with 1" of water and bake at 350 degrees for about 55 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
I find this is best made with very small pieces (not quite crumbs) of very dry bread. Last time, I actually left the bread pieces out to dry for several days, and the results were about perfect. It's the next best thing to brownies, and wonderful when you find you have a good loaf of bread going stale. Thanks for posting!