Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
Nothing says "Mom's having PMS" like the foreboding smell of chocolate wafting from the kitchen. When my family sees these these treats on the cooling rack, they know to head for the hills. The recipe yields 2 dozen (if you don't eat half the dough before it's cooked...) but as far as my family knows, it makes four.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (or Pecans!)
- powdered sugar
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees (F).
- Melt butter or margarine and chocolate in medium saucepan over low heat (or melt in the microwave in a glass bowl or measuring cup for 2 minutes or until butter or margarine is melted).
- Set aside to cool for five minutes.
- While you're letting the chocolate cool, stir sugar, egg, vanilla and salt together until well blended.
- Stir the cooled chocolate/butter or margarine mixture until nice and smooth. Then mix it in with the above sugar, etc. mixture.
- Now stir in the flour and nuts.
- Shape mixture into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- While warm, roll in powdered sugar.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Once cool, roll in powdered sugar again!
- Store in airtight container.
These were great! I used Light butter, and I didnt have any unsweetened chocolate, so I used 8 hershey kisses and a Tbs of cocoa powder. To be completly done I had to cook almost 15 minutes, but they were SO easy, and tasted great. Thanks for the idea.
These were the BEST!! WOW! I did leave out the nuts as I was giving them for gifts and you never know who's allergic. I used my smallest cookie scoop and found that the perfect size. They froze nicely. I couldn't eat enough! YUM!
I love these! I opt not to use nuts because I send them to work with my husband at a pharmacy. I also only roll in powdered sugar once and find it coats well. I have already made these a few times, I cant' get enough of them.