Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In large heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt butter and chocolate, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Blend sugar, applesauce, eggs and vanilla into chocolate mixture.
- In large bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt.
- With wooden spoon, stir in chocolate mixture until blended.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 8-inch round cake pans.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes.
- Prepare Apple Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
- Fill and frost with Apple Cream Cheese Frosting.
- APPLE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING: In large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
- Blend in confectioners' sugar, applesauce, caramels and vanilla extract.