Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is so good you will want to save it for company, but don't! Your family deserves to be pampered! This is a very simple recipe that will remind you of fried rice and full of rich flavor! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
- 1 cup rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sliced mushrooms, drained
- 10 ounces frozen peas, thawed
- 8 ounces canned water chestnuts, drained and diced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In dry skillet, brown rice, stirring often.
- Turn into a 1 1/2 qt casserole; add water and stir with fork to separate grains.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile in skillet, over low heat, melt butter, add onion and mushrooms and saute, then remove from heat; add peas, chestnuts and soy sauce.
- Add to rice and blend gently.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Hint: Add 1 TBS oil, butter or margarine to rice before boiling to make grains separate and rice will never stick to pan.
What a delicious, tasty dish. I made it exactly as written except for using chicken broth instead of water. Browning the rice gave it a slightly nutty flavor which added another layer of flavor. Everyone loved it, and it will become a part of our permanent collection. The only change I'll make is to reduce the amount of butter used to saute the onions and mushrooms. For my taste, using a whole stick was just too buttery, so I'm going to try using half a stick next time. Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipe, Bev.
Wonderful! We loved this! I made the recipe exactly as stated and did not change a thing. Next time I might try adding a few carrots for color, but other than that, It was just perfect!! Thanks so much for posting!
Very easy and tasty. This made a good lunch for 3 of us. Made with chicken broth for the water. Made for Gimme 5.