Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From The Joy of Cooking. I have used fingerling and baby red potatoes when I made this. I decreased the oil and butter to 2 tablespoons each and still had an over abundance of each, but the recipe follows as it was presented in the cookbook.
- 6 red potatoes or 6 all purpose potatoes, about 2-inch in diameter scrubbed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Boil potatoes in salted water to cover until they are not quite done, having a little resistance when tested with a fork.
- This took about 15 minutes with the fingerlings and 10 minutes with the baby red potatoes I used.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil and butter in a small, heavy, ovenproof skillet until hot, but not quite to the point of fragrance.
- Add the potatoes, cover and bake for 20 minutes, turning occasionally so they brown evenly.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Bake, uncovered for about 10 minutes more.
- Season to taste.
I thought the potatoes were supposed to be peeled white potatoes. One thing I've found is that 350F is a little too low of a temperature to get browning--should be more like 400F.
We loved these wonderfully buttery potatoes. Used small red potatoes and decreased the butter and oil to a little more than 2 tablespoons. A great change from the usual.
This recipe was good, but it didn't turn out right for me. I used white potatoes, and basically got mashed potatoes out of it. They didn't brown. But I think it was because I probably cooked them too long at the beginning. I might try this again using red potatoes.