Recipe by Chef Nawal
Pairing fried eggplant with yogurt and garlic is one of the favorite ways of serving eggplant in Iraq. It is a simple and beautiful dish, great for hot summer days.
Top Review by JymVee
My wife was incredulous, to say the least, that eggplant and yogurt could be paired. But she just rolled her eyes and left me alone. But come dinner time, it was a whole different story. We were both surprised at how wonderful this dish is. We have some vegetarian friends that we'll be trying this with. Soon!
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 59.14 ml olive oil, for oven frying eggplant
- 354.88 ml plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml ground cumin
- 1.23 ml coriander powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash eggplant, cut off stem and peel it into stripes.
- Cut crosswise into 2 parts, then cut each part lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick pieces.
- Soak eggplant pieces in warm salted water for about 1/2 hour.
- Put a heavy plate on the pieces to keep them submerged.
- Drain eggplant pieces.
- Brush pieces lightly with olive oil, and arrange them in a cookie sheet in one layer.
- Broil them in the oven, turning once.
- About 10 minutes.
- Mix together yogurt, garlic, salt, cumin and coriander.
- On a flat big platter, arrange eggplant pieces in a single layer (pieces may overlap a little).
- Spoon yogurt mixture all over the eggplant.
- Sprinkle with chili, and garnish with parsley and tomato.
- Serve with warm bread.
- If the amount is more than you can consume in one sitting, refrigerate eggplant pieces and yogurt in two separate containers.
- Combine and garnish just before serving.