1/1 Photo of Browned Eggplant (Aubergine) With Yogurt
Chef Nawal's Note:
Pairing fried eggplant with yogurt and garlic is one of the favorite ways of serving eggplant in Iraq. It is a simple and beautiful dish, great for hot summer days.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash eggplant, cut off stem and peel it into stripes.
- 2Cut crosswise into 2 parts, then cut each part lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick pieces.
- 3Soak eggplant pieces in warm salted water for about 1/2 hour.
- 4Put a heavy plate on the pieces to keep them submerged.
- 5Drain eggplant pieces.
- 6Brush pieces lightly with olive oil, and arrange them in a cookie sheet in one layer.
- 7Broil them in the oven, turning once.
- 8About 10 minutes.
- 9Mix together yogurt, garlic, salt, cumin and coriander.
- 10On a flat big platter, arrange eggplant pieces in a single layer (pieces may overlap a little).
- 11Spoon yogurt mixture all over the eggplant.
- 12Sprinkle with chili, and garnish with parsley and tomato.
- 13Serve with warm bread.
- 14If the amount is more than you can consume in one sitting, refrigerate eggplant pieces and yogurt in two separate containers.
- 15Combine and garnish just before serving.
Browse Our Top Iraqi Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Iraqi Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Browned Eggplant (Aubergine) With Yogurt
Serving Size: 1 (244 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 211.8
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 5.5 mg
- Sodium 358.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 6.2 g