Prep 1 min
Cook 10 mins
This recipe came from "The Blackberry Farm Cookbook". It was listed as a frosting for spiced cupcakes, but I really only wanted the frosting recipe. Posted here for safekeeping.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Make an ice bath by placing a small bowl on top of a medium bowl filled with ice.
- In a small saucepan, cook 12 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat, swirling the pan occasionally, for about 7 minutes, until the butter turns a nutty brown.
- Immediately pour the browned butter into the small bowl sitting in the ice bath.
- Cool the butter to room temperature, cover and refrigerate until it solidifies.
- Transfer the solidified browned butter to a large bowl.
- Add the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter, the confectioners' sugar, cream and lemon juice.
- Beat the frosting with an electric mixer until it is light and fluffy, then spread over cooled cupcakes.